Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Tuesday Night - The Halo - London



We played the Acoustic Showcase at the Halo Bar in London tonight. I think I might be feeling a hair better today but the cough is still the same and gets triggered by nothing at all – so still no singing (pisses me off)!

Ironically I ran into an old Nashville friend named Mark Aaron James. He left Nashville for NYC some ten yeas or so ago and a year ago landed in London to try his luck on the English scene. He actually hosts this multi-artist showcase night at the Halo.

Tonight was mostly singer-songwriters, with one acoustic instrumentalist in the mix. Because he got there as early as we did, I ended up talking with (and coughing at) him for good while. He’s from the area we are headed to tomorrow called Portsmith. He has an interesting story. I guess a little over a decade ago he was hurt severely in an accident when a big metal cage fell of the back of a truck and struck him in the head. He said he basically had to relearn everything and music took him a good ten years to return to. It has been yet another perspective giver out here in the real world of travelling and making music.

The night was odd, but fun. We all rotated in 2 song mini-sets all night long. If you’re asking why they do it that way instead of in rounds, don’t bother. I’ve asked that question tonight more than once to no avail. Although, the bar tender did state, “I really hate musicians” – yeah, I know!

Well, the part that was fun was a good response. Even though I am not able to sing at all we are still getting great reviews as a “duet” over here. Maybe they are used to the second part being dramatically mute – I don’t know.

After the show we headed into the Parliament District for a quick night tour (since my original London Day had to be scrapped for hospital day). I got to see the Parliament buildings, Westminster Abby, Big Ben and The Royal Albert Music Hall (which I requested Robert book us in next time). It was a fairly quick hour and a half back to Basingstoke, where now I plan to cough my fool head off and sleep in.

Thanks for the support.

Peace,

Mark

1 comment: